Thursday 5 March 2009

Selamat Pagi Tuan Puan

The above is Malaysian for Good Morning Ladies and Gentleman. I learned this on our flight. It is much more hilarious to hear, because it sounds like:

Selmat Pangi Toing Poing.


Well. What a day and a half it's been. We wake up bright as buttons on Wednesday, keen as mustard to head to the dump and run around the trash.

We meet David, the English owner of Bogey and Bacalls at his pub, and along with Richard (another Pom, sounds like Richard Thornhill, also loves pork-pies, must be the name?) as well as a young brethren couple (very awkward, didn't say two words, but looked down their noses at us when we got back for post-dump lagers) a girl name Cherry from Victoria in British Columbia, as well as Wayyyyyyyyyyne, a surfer dude from Cali-forn- yaaaaa. The local village policeman was there as well, as well as a photo journalist called NY-OH-MEE, who turned out to be an uppity snob. Stupid poms.

Anyway, we get to the pub and immediately start loading the truck with supplies, water, chairs, medical equipment... there are about 10 of us.. and only 2 seats.. where to sit? In the tray.
We rode through the streets of Phnom Penh, atop the tray of a truck, holding onto the rickety tray. We got to a womans roadside bread stall, a woman David calls Mama, where we bought 400 baguettes. From there we went to the wholesale market where we picked up 50kg of bananas, 60kg of crabapples, 40 kgs of regular apples, loaded them up and off to the Phnom Penh City Dump.

Myself and Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyne had been asked to stand at the back of the truck and swat the kids back as we drove through the dump. I must of underestimated what he meant, because as soon as the truck entered the dump, about 50 kids came out of nowhere, from all directions, chasing our truck. Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyne and I then had to unpry the little kids fingers from the truck (whilst we were driving up a mud road, in a dump, not holding onto anytthing...) until we stopped.
We pulled up in a quiet part of the dump, surrounded by two huge trash walls, and Operation Feedkids was underway.

About 450 kids, ranging from new-born baby to 15 years old, as well as some older ladies, young mothers to grandmothers, lined up in 2 orderly male and female lines to receive some tucker from the trucker.

We handed out food while the awkward brethrens (the woman was a medic) treated minor ailments such as cuts, scratches, infections, scabies and so on. There were a lot of cute little kids, including one naked little baby boy, probably 6mths old. He was in the line, being held by his mother, but reached out and grabbed my finger. So then his mother gave him to me to hold. That was awkward. Holding a naked stinky sweaty Cambodian child. But the kid was the cutest I've ever seen so very much ok.

We packed up and had a bit of a play with the kids. I had 2 little brats hanging off my arms asking me to pick them up, little ruffigans that they are. We packed up, said goodbye, and headed back for Phnom Penh City.

Once back at the pub, we unloaded, got everything sorted and sat down for a beer with David (the owner). We got back at about 2pm...One Angkor Draft turned into 20, then some guys from QLD turned up (Daryl and Paul) and they had some beer too. Next time I look at my watch its about 6pm, and Im absolutely pickled. So what to do? We head to HH Pizza.

It was good pizza.

Then the next logical step is... BACK TO THE PUB. So we head back, chill out with Daryl and Paul, two hilarious top blokes, and drink more beer. It gets to 10pm, and its time to pull stumps.. for we had a 9am bus to Siem Reap to catch.

Woke up today at about 6am, seedy as ever, and went for a jog through the city, probably about 3 or 4km. Even at 6am, its very hot and humid. Got back, had some breakfast and boarded an "express bus" to Siem Reap. It was a good trip, cost $9 and was very comfortable. We went for dinner at a little place called Star Rise right near our hotel (Motherhome Hotel) and then jumped onto a tuktuk to go to the Night Markets where we caught a movie and bought some souvenirs. (Rob I bought you a present)

Back at the hotel writing this but up early tomorrow to head to Angkor Wat with our tuktuk driver, Pit.

It should be good.

Til next time,
John.

3 comments:

Debdawg said...

Hello John and Shannon.
I love your adventurous spirit and your sense of humour.Both your blogs really crack me up. I'd love to donate my time to the dump when we are there, but I'll have to think about it, cause (and this will sound awful) I don't know if I could stand all the dirty kids touching me. Plus, being a mother, it might break my heart.

It's great you are making the time to keep all your friends and family informed of your daily adventures, otherwise you may forget the small details when you are home.

Hey John, if you have the time (only if) can you swing by the Le Tiger de Papier Residence and check it out for me. I have booked a week there. I had a look on the map and it's nowhere near where you are staying, so don't worry too much.
Can't wait to hear what you think of the temples.

How 'bout some photos?? Can you attach any to this blog?

Hey Shannon, on the home page there is a heading about you two as a duo, but the blurb only goes on to talk about John. It's all about John!! I think you'd better get this man under control and stop him taking over!

Keep having a fab time and I look forward to all the blogs to follow.

Coops

John and Shannon said...

Hahaha! Thanks! I will update it to be more about me! I'm glad you are reading our blog and are entertained, we try :) Unfortunately, I forgot the adaptor to hook the camera up to a computer so the photo's will have to wait until we get back. We also forgot a power point coverter (don't forget yours when you get here).
Take care.

Johnno.Yeah said...

Even if you cant physically get to the dump, go to Bogie and Bacalls on St 136 and throw a couple of bucks in the donation tin, and have a cheap pint. I assure you the money is going to go straight to the kids.