Monday 2 March 2009

Hello Diary. I'm Ann Frank.

Dear Diary,

Since I last wrote I have left Nazi Germany... oh wait. I'm not Ann Frank at all...


So I got up Sunday morning at 6am to make sure everything was a-ok.. my bags were packed.. my shoes were tied... and I had all my bizniss sorted. So.. it gets to like .. 11pm at night. and we''re at Brisbane International.. and I'm getting tired. So I figure I've got an 8 hr flight ahead of me.. so I'll just sleep?

WRONG.


I didn't get a wink. The douche behind me stole my pillow. I was totally uncomfortable and had movies-on-demand right in front of me. So I watched Quantum of Solace.. and some other movies, some Simpsons etc and before you know we've crossed the Timor Sea and we're in Kuala Lumpur.


Imagine sticking your nose in soeones bottom thats had mothballs stuffed up there. Thats what the KL International smelt like. Furthermore, it was boring as bat shit and rainy, and the sun only just rose before we left at 925 KL time.


We eventually board our flight to Phnom Penh.. again Malaysian Air comes to the party with some AWESOME service etc, and before we know it, BAM, we're in Cambodia.
We disembark at Cambodia, we'd filled in our customs and immigration forms when we come to a small problem. We apparently need a passport photo to stick to our Visa Application. What to do now?


The Immigration officer says "No worries, $1." So I gave him a buck and here we are. Cleared customs, immigration and into our shuttle bus we get... It was a pretty non-eventful ride from the airport to the hotel.. the typical South East Asia driving... honk, swerve, drive on wrong side of road, honk, giggle, honk.


Get to our hotel.. chuck our stuff in the room.. and headed for a walk. Phnom Penh is a poor mans Vietnam, only more expensive? Que? Anywho, we got back to the hotel, tired and dehyrdated so went to the bar for some $1.20 beers. Chatted to the owner of the hotel, Kim, a Cambodian man who lived in the US for 20 years.. very interesting and provided a bit of insight into Cambodia that only a person who'd lived and gone from there could give.


After that, we head off to the Wat Phnom, a 1km walk from our hotel. We get there.. lots of touts and little kids all with their "buy water, one dorrar". We walk up the stairs to the pagoda when some woman starts yelling "GO PAY, GO PAY". Not realizing we'd missed the ticket booth, we went to the "Foreigners Only" ticket booth, coughed up a buck, and had a look. There were a few people, ranging from a 3 yr old... to a 40yr old.. to a grandma all on their knees prayin' to Buddha. The woman prayed for peace in the world. The 40yr old prayed for a stable end to the World Economic Crisis.. the little 3 yr old prayed for a bitchin' new Tonka Truck.
So we get back (via Tuktuk) to our hotel. We're pretty hungry by this stage, so off down the street I went looking for some local tucker. I came across a guy selling sandwiches.. All made before your eyes.. a crusty bread stick, stuffed with Coriander, Tofu, Mackerel in Tomato Sauce, and Chili Sauce. It cost $1 for 2 sangers. They were massive. And delicious. Bargain.


I headed upstairs at about 4pm local time (7pm Brisbane time) to have a nap.. however as it was so bloody hot, I decided to go down to the bar for another beer and a game of pool (on my own, to unwind). I set the balls up, and a hooker comes over and is like "lets play". As I have a severe hooker intolerance, known as "Getawaydirtyslutitis", I told her to fk off and came and started on this blog. There are a lot of filthy faggoty British sex-tourists drinking/staying at the hotel we're at.. so we'll be leaving tomorrow. They are the scourge of the earth and make me dry-retch. Rant over.

Apart from that, this place is awesome. I can't wait to check out S21, the Royal Palace and the Killing Fields tomorrow.
Tonight we might go to the "Black Cat Bar" which is also owned by Kim, the bloke who owns our hotel we're in.
Until we chat again, peace.
John.


Update early on the morning of Day 2:
So... I went for a laydown at about 6pm as I was tired.. and we've only just woken up. It's 638am in the morning. haha. Awesome. Now we're hittin' some breakfast and out on the town.

No comments: