Friday 30 November 2007

Writing Blogs.

Thats right. Writing blogs.

Friday November 30 by John:

Last night we decided to try to change our Saigon eating habits, and shun the GO2 Cafe. So we went to a place called Allezboo, down the road and around the corner a bit. Sat down, and it was the same company, different restaurant. Same food. Same vibe. But we liked GO2 so we stayed. We had dinner, and had heard about a place called Blue Gecko Bar in Q3. So we jumped on a couple of Moto's, and headed down to Blue Gecko.
The BG is a weedy little bar full of expats- not for us, so we finished our beers and searched for more moto's. By this time it was approximately 10PM. We found our moto's, mine's name was "Tobias", and we headed back to the hotel for some slumber.
Woke up this morning, decided to have a lazy day. So we headed to a Cafe in the next street over for some "Western Breakfast".
The breakfast we both chose was called ::: SCRAM SLAM::: and was exactly what you'd imagine. Scrambled eggs. With extra SLAM. Decent enough.
After Breaky, headed to Sinh Cafe to book our tour to Ha Noi, Halong Bay, Sa Pa etc. There was a very friendly bilingual guy who made the whole process a lot easier. If ever in Sinh Cafe HCMC, ask for "Fabian".
So then we decided to hit the tourist trail and went down to a place called "Saigon Art Museum" It was essentially that, Saigon's art museum. Some very nice stuff, 1400 yr old sculptures, beautiful paintings and a few little stores.
We headed from there, around a bit trying to find a couple of moto's (Shannon and I are both addicted to them) and ended up in Saigon's rudest neighborhood. Eventually we found a couple of jerks who were both up for taking us to the Zoo. After refusing their offer of USD$5 and settling for $2, we headed to the Zoo. Walked in and were immediately charged VND16000, or about $2, but I am sure we were overcharged. Walked around a bit, saw a smoking chimp and a few birds of prey, then headed down to see the Elephant. It spat some crap all over Shannon so we scrapped that, played a piano, and headed down to see the Wildebeest and Deer.
On our way out of that area, a couple of Vina women came up to me, and offered me some carrots to feed the deer. They literally pushed it in my hand, and I had a bad feeling I would have to pay for this. So at the end, after feeding the deer (or was I inadvertently fattening it up??) they say "FIFTYTHOUSAND" (VND50000) which is about USD$4. I laughed this off, right in there face, took out my duelling glove, slapped their faces and gave them USD$1. I walked off as they lay on the ground in sheer shock of my duelling glove owning them.
I then got very agitated that she tried to rip me off (even though we saw it coming a mile away), so I decided we should go home so I could cry.
We found a couple of motos, and USD$1.20 later, we were back at our hotel, sipping red-bull syrup and coke and talking about this. Don't know what the plan for tonight is, but by this time tomorrow we should be in Ha Noi, exploring another beautiful city of Vietnam.

Until we meet again..

John.
john.shannon.vietnam@gmail.com

No comments: